Thursday, April 12, 2007

This is a poem from a young boy to his dad. The boy is sad because he has broken his promises to his daddy and is concerned that he can’t be his daddy’s little boy anymore.

Promises

Dear Daddy,
I’m sorry I did not do what you told me to do.
If I do better
Can I still be your little boy?

Dear Son,
You will be
My little boy
For all of your little-boy days.
And when
You are no longer a little boy
I will still be your daddy.

From: IN DADDY’S ARMS I AM TALL African Americans Celebrating Fathers. By David A. Anderson. Ill. by Javaka Steptoe. Published by Lee & Low Books, New York. Copyright 1997.

After reading aloud a couple of times, have 2 volunteers read in the voices of a little boy and his dad. Discuss. As a group, compose a poem from the mom’s perspective to both the boy and his dad. For those who want, let them explore and create a personal or partner poem.

No comments: